Days....well, a lot of them (Ireland)

Okie Dokie!
I know it's been a while. Traveling is a busy and exhausting endeavor. I am going to try and catch up, seeing as how I only have a week left (!!!!) of my trip.
I've decided to just post by city instead of go over every day in a single post. So....good luck!
When I last checked in, I was on a two-day trip to the west of Ireland. We stopped in Galway for the night, in a little B&B run by a wonderful Russian family.
The next morning I had a traditional Irish breakfast (which, frankly, I didn't enjoy that much) and we were on our way. We stopped at a castle and another ruined abbey, but these were much more touristy.

We couldn't go inside the castle, because it's still being used and a rich family still owns it. You can rent it out for about $1,000 an hour as a wedding venue, I think. It's a beautiful location though.


This is the entrance to the abbey. This place is far removed from everywhere, through farmer fields and fairy lands. Seriously, the farmers around here are still superstitious and there are pockets of land that have always been believed to hold fairies that the farmers refuse to touch.
 Lots of ancient stones and excellent architecture. It's a beautiful place, but the rest of it was crawling with people. It's a shame that so many people see these places because at this rate there won't be much left to see of it.
Next we moved on to the Cliffs. We drove along the Atlantic coastline, which was absolutely stunning. Wild and rocky and practically untouched.



When we got down to the shore, we took a ferry ride out to the sea-level view of the Cliffs of Insanity...I mean, Cliffs of Moher. The sun was in the way pretty much the whole time, so the pictures didn't turn out well, but the sight was truly magnificent.

 I could easily imagine Wesley scaling those cliffs with a rope and having a duel at the top.

This is the view of the cliffs from the top of them. They go for about five miles.
To imagine the amount of people here, I want you to think. Imagine you're at Disneyland or Yellowstone or Coney Island or some other huge attraction. Now imagine it with a Special Event going on (July 4th fireworks, Old Faithful, new ride opening). Imagine it in the middle of summer.
The amount of people at the Cliffs was twice that.
I wanted to walk out to where there weren't any people, somewhere along the 5 mile path. However, I only had an hour here, so I didn't. I found a good place to sit and take everything in, then hopped back on the bus and returned to Dublin.
That's all for this post. The next will cover Dublin.

Nita




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stonehenge